Now that the Supreme Court has overturned Roe v. Wade, it is no longer enough for Democrats to only be pro-choice. John and Michelle, his running mate and former board president of Planned Parenthood of Maryland, are committed to aggressively protecting and expanding the right to abortion care in Maryland.
John and Michelle are proud to be endorsed by Pro-Choice Maryland Action, and will make Maryland a safe haven, and national leader in protecting and expanding the right to abortion care.
The King-Siri administration will:
- Immediately enshrine the right to abortion care in the Maryland state constitution. There is currently a statutory right to an abortion in Maryland, but a statute can be overturned. Enshrining the right to an abortion is an important protection against that.
- Fully fund and implement the Abortion Care Access Act, to ensure that every Maryland county has an abortion provider and that Maryland has the capacity to provide for people seeking care from out of state.
- Immediately release the funding for provider training that Governor Hogan is holding up.
- Work with States Attorneys and the Attorney General’s office to ensure that we protect pregnant people, and those who help them obtain abortions.
- Make Maryland a safe state for people seeking abortion and gender-affirming care who are forced to flee their home state.
- Appoint judges who will protect collateral rights like contraception, infertility treatments, gay marriage, trans rights, and beyond.
- End the restriction that stops state Medicaid funds from covering elective abortion, because rights should not be determined by insurance status.